1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
With its 5.0-liter V-8 and macho styling cues, the 1984
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS helped give the
entire Monte Carlo lineup a sporty image.
The 1984 Chevrolet Monte
Carlo took over as Chevy's sole midsize rear-wheel-drive car because the Chevrolet Malibu had been scratched from Chevy's lineup.
Changes to the 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo were few, encompassing mostly powertrain shuffling, though front bucket seats with a required center console were added as an option.
Engine choices remained the same as before, except that the 4.3-liter V-6 diesel was dropped due to lack of interest. The 105-horsepower 5.7-liter V-8 diesel was still available, though not in California, where it couldn't pass that state's emissions standards. The base 49-state engine was Chevy's 110-horsepower 3.8-liter V-6; California cars got a similar Buick-built V-6.
A 150-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 was optional on base versions of the 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS returned with its 180-horsepower 5.0-liter. All engines came standard with a three-speed automatic transmission. A four-speed automatic was optional on all but California's Buick V-6.
It's doubtful those disappointed in the demise of the Malibu, which was offered as a sedan or wagon, would now gravitate to a two-door Monte
Carlo. So something else must have prompted the 1984 Chevrolet Monte
boost in popularity.
A good part of that "something else" was performance, indicating that quick, good-looking coupes could still attract buyers.
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
The 1984 Monte Carlo SS helped fuel a
dramatic rise in Monte Carlo sales.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe