1982 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The 1982 Monte Carlo base model remained smart and handsome.
Moreover, with that year's discontinuation of the coupe version of the Chevrolet Malibu, Chevy began considering the Monte Carlo as much a two-door variant of the Malibu as a model in its own right. Even the Malibu's facelift that year echoed Monte Carlo styling themes.
Finally, 1982 Chevrolet Monte Carlo prices now fell within the Malibu's range. Montes were previously somewhat more expensive.
The 1982 Chevrolet Monte Carlo received a finer-mesh grille, and
dropping the bucket seat option made them all six-passenger automobiles.
Powertrain availability was identical to Malibu's, so Chevy's 3.8-liter 229-cubic-inch 110-horsepower V-6 returned as standard, with 4.4-liter (267-cubic-inch, 115 horsepower) and 5.0-liter (305-cubic-inch, 150 horsepower) V-8s optional.
Notable by its absence was the 3.8-liter turbocharged V-6 that had been introduced in 1980. But replacing the turbo were a pair of diesels, a 105-horsepower 5.7-liter V-8 and an 83-horsepower 262-cubic-inch 4.3-liter V-6.
Even without competition from the extinct Malibu coupe, Monte Carlo sales plummeted, from nearly 188,000 in 1981 to less than 93,000 for 1982 -- better than a 50-percent drop. But Chevy had some tricks up its sleeve for the 1983 model year.
1982 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,190|| $8,177-$8,247||92,392|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.