1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The Monte Carlo was the only 1981 Chevy to enjoy a sales increase.
In back, the 1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo replaced vertical taillights with horizontal lenses in a higher tail that was likewise boxier and adorned with body-colored bumpers. The sweeping fender creases that had long been a Monte Carlo trademark were still in evidence but toned down in a more slab-sided profile.
were the same as before, though all were fitted with GM's new Computer Command
Control (CCC) emission system.
The base 229-cubic-inch V-6 dropped from 115 horsepower to 110, matching the 231-cubic-inch Buick V-6 substituted in California. V-8s of 267- and 305-cubic-inch returned, with 115 and 150 horsepower, respectively, while the top power option was again the 170-horsepower turbocharged 3.8-liter V-6. Meanwhile, a lock-up torque converter was added to the standard three-speed automatic transmission.
Like other GM cars, Monte Carlo prices rose dramatically for 1981, the base model being up by $775 to $7,299, the top-line Landau V-8 increasing by over $1,200 to $8,056. Yet with the help of new styling, sales went up by over 25 percent to 187,850, making Monte Carlo the only Chevrolet to boast higher volume for 1981.
The 1981 Monte Carlo was a handsome, if formal, coupe.
1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,102-3,228|| $7,299-$8,056||187,850|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.