1978 Chevrolet Malibu
The 1978 Chevrolet Malibu took over from the
Chevrolet Chevelle as Chevy's family of midsize cars.
This is a 1978 a Chevy Malibu Classic Landau Coupe.
The 1978 Chevrolet Malibu was the smaller, all-new replacement for the long-lived Chevrolet Chevelle series. General Motors was downsizing its midsize cars, and Chevy took the opportunity to switch its to the Malibu name, which had for years been the best-selling badge within the Chevelle lineup.
The 1978 Chevrolet Malibu was advertised as "a fresh new slice of apple pie." It was offered in Malibu and Malibu Classic trim. Body styles included a coupe, four-door sedan, and station wagon. All 978 Chevrolet Malibu models rode a 108-inch wheelbase in a departure from prior years, when sedans and wagons were longer.
The 1978 Chevrolet Malibus measured at least a foot shorter overall than their predecessors and weighed 500 to 1,000 pounds less. Even so, Chevrolet promised more trunk space, leg room, and head room -- helped by reduced body curvature as well as slim doors and shell-style seats. Broad glass expanses improved visibility.
Base engine for the 1978 Chevrolet Malibu wasa 200-cubic-inch (3.3-liter) V-6 that developed a modest 95 horsepower. Two upgrades could be ordered: a 231-cubic-inch V-6 developing 105 horsepower, or a 305-cubic-inch V-8 with 145 horsepower. Only station wagons could get the 170-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8.
Malibus sold well, with 358,636 rolling off the assembly line -- led by 102,967 Classic four-door sedans.
Among GM makes, at least, the era of bigness was fading into history, overtaken by a new age of efficiency and economy. El Camino car-pickups also adopted Malibu styling, with engine choices ranging all the way to the 350-cubic-inch V-8.
The 1978 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Landau Coupe came
standardwith a vinyl half roof, pinstripes, and
Rally wheels or Sport wheel covers.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.