1992 Chevrolet Cavalier
Fresh-looking 1992 Cavalier models included this RS sedan.
A new fuel-injection system boosted the base 2.2-liter four to 110-horsepower (from 95), while the 3.1-liter V-6 that was standard in the Z24 and optional in RS convertibles and wagons remained at 140 horsepower. Both engines came standard with a five-speed manual, offering a three-speed automatic as an option.
New features on all Cavaliers included a shift interlock on automatic-equipped models that prevented the gearshift from going into Reverse or Drive unless the brake pedal was depressed, and an innovative power locking system that automatically locked all the doors when the transmission was shifted into Drive, or with manual transmission, when the car reached eight mph. VL and RS models also got new wheel covers.
Total sales slipped to about 225,000 for 1992, though that was enough for a third-place finish behind the Ford Taurus and Honda Accord.
1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Cavalier|| 2,509-2,689|| $8,899-$18,305||225,633|
1992 Cavalier models like this stripper VL coupe
were considered a good value.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.