1989 Chevrolet Camaro
The IROC-Z was again the top of the line
for the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro.
Powertrain offerings stayed the same as in '88. Standard on the RS coupe was the good ol' 2.8-liter V-6 still belting out 135 horsepower. Standard on the RS convertible and optional on the coupe was again a 170-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8.
That same engine was standard on the IROC-Z as well, but the IROC also offered two optional V-8s: a port-fuel-injected 5.0-liter with 220 horsepower and a 5.7-liter with 230 horsepower. All could be mated to either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic except the last, which came only with the automatic.
Though little had changed, the cost of a Camaro went up by $500-$930, meaning that the price of entry now stood at $11,495. Surprisingly, that didn't hurt sales, which grew from 1988's disappointing 96,275 to a slightly less depressing 110,739.
But the Camaro was now being soundly whipped by the rival Mustang (which was out-selling it by about two to one), and a more modern replacement was a good four years away.
Base RS Camaros had the familiar
punishing ride and poor visibility.
|Model||Weight range (lbs.)||Price range (new) ||Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy, and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- All Chevrolet Camaros: From the original 1967 to the last-of-a-breed 2002 model, learn all about one of America's favorite sporty cars.
- 2009 Chevrolet Camaro: It's back, and badder than ever! Check out this article and pictures to discover what Chevy has in store as it revives the Camaro for the 2009 model year.