Lots More Information
If your used car gets recalled, can your still get it fixed? Find out what to do if your used car gets recalled at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 5 Tips for Driving Safely at Night
I'm not sure why, but it shocked me just a bit in my research to learn that automobile accidents kill more than 40,000 people per year in the United States alone. That's a death toll equivalent to 14 September 11-scale terrorist attacks each year. A disproportionate number of these accidents happen at night, either because people have to work, or because that's the only time they have left to be social outside of work. I love the notion of freedom on the open road -- but I've had to re-consider whether it's such a bad idea to have at least some level of self-driving capability in cars -- an idea I once abhorred. One could argue that it would be the ultimate overreach into drivers' personal freedoms. On the other hand, such technology could save lots of lives by removing the error-prone human factor in driving -- especially at night. Think of it as everyone having an opportunity to be chauffeured when they're too tired to drive. Until that technology and its legal implications get sorted out, we can take the preceding five night-driving tips in this article to heart -- for our own safety, that of our passengers and our fellow motorists.
- 10 Most Dangerous Distracted Driving Habits
- 5 Completely Wrong Ways to Drive in the Fog
- 5 Completely Wrong Ways to Drive in the Rain
- How Defensive Driving Works
- How Pre-Collision Systems Work
- How In-Dash Night Vision Systems Work
- How the Jaws of Life Work
- How DUI Works
- Can a car really be death-proof?
- Will your next car wake you up when you fall asleep at the wheel?
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. "Blinded by the Light? How to Handle Glare for Safer Driving." 2002. (March 4, 2012) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-29/classified/sc-cons-1124-autotips-20111129_1_eyes-lights-lenses
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. "Relationship Between Awareness of Sleepiness and Ability to Predict Sleep Onset." 2003. (March 4, 2012) http://www.aaafoundation.org/resources/research/asleep.cfm
- Elliott, Hannah. "Most Dangerous Times to Drive." Forbes.com. Jan. 21, 2009. (March 6, 2012) http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
- FLIR Systems Inc. "BMW incorporates thermal imaging cameras in its cars." (March 2, 2012) http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/ApplicationStory_BMW.pdf
- Hingson, Ralph and Winter, Michael. "Epidemiology and Consequences of Drinking and Driving." National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism of the National Institutes of Health. (March 3, 2012) http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-1/63-78.htm
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Questions and Answers: Urban Crashes." 1999. (March 5, 2012) http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9909/rm990901.htm
- Kohnle, Diana. "Health Tip: Safe Driving at Night." ABCNews.com. (March 1, 2012) http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=7938837&page=1
- Mead, Scott. "How to Create Your Own Roadside Emergency Kit." Edmunds.com. May 5, 2009. (March 4, 2012) http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-create-your-own-roadside-emergency-kit.html
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "Drowsy Driving and Automobile Crashes." (March 3, 2012) http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/drowsy_driving1/drowsy.html
- National Sleep Foundation. "Food and Sleep." December 2009. (March 6, 2012) http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/food-and-sleep
- PRNewswire. "Darting Animals, Poor Visibility and Bad Weather Top Three Nighttime Driving Concerns for American Motorists." Oct. 31, 2011. (March 3, 2012) http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/darting-animals-poor-visibility-and-bad-weather-top-three-nighttime-driving-concerns-for-american-motorists-132931938.html
- Risk Control Services. "Safe Driving at Night." (March 3, 2012) http://www.riskcontrolservices.com/Econsultant/2007%20eConsultant/Articles/Article-July%2018-Safe%20driving%20at%20Night.htm
- Science Daily. "New Night Vision System Reduces Car Accidents." Sept. 27, 2007. (March 6, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070927113215.htm
- Scolforo, Mark. "Pa. makes plans to avoid repeat of Feb. snowstorm fiasco." USA Today. Oct. 29, 2007. (March 5, 2012) http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2007-10-29-pa-snowstorm-plans_N.htm
- Senior Journal.com. "Older Motorcycle Riders Death Rate Higher." Sept. 1, 2004. (March 5, 2012) http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/SeniorStats/4-09-02Bikes.htm
- Stevens, Heidi. "Focus on safe nighttime driving: Optometrist offers tips to help you keep an eye on safety." Chicago Tribune. Nov. 29, 2011. (March 5, 2012) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-29/classified/sc-cons-1124-autotips-20111129_1_eyes-lights-lenses
- Stutts, Jane C., Vaughn, Bradley V. and Wilkins, Jean W. "Why Do People Have Drowsy Driving Crashes? Input from People Who Just Did." AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 1999. (March 1, 2012) http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/Sleep.pdf
- Taylor III, Alex. "Solving the highway death epidemic." CNN Money. April 2, 2008. (March 4, 2012) http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/01/magazines/fortune/tech/night_vision.fortune/index.htm