1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria hardtop coupe.
See more pictures of classic cars.
The 1957-1958 Fairlane 500s had bigger, weightier new bodies matched by a lower-profile "cowbelly" frame with a dropped rear floorpan and kicked-up aft side rails permitting a two-inch reduction in overall height. The suspension was improved via swept-back front lower control arms and longer rear leaf springs. All 1957 Fairlane engines were basically 1956 units tuned for more power (in the usual ways).
Facelifted Fairlane 1958s looked more elaborate and included: quad headlamps above a '58 Thunderbird-style bumper/grille, broader side trim, scalloped rear deck, four oval tail lamps, and longitudinal roof ribs (to strengthen those panels, a '57 weakness). Main mechanical advances for this vehicle were new "big-block" 332/352 V-8s and a more sophisticated three-speed Cruise-O-Matic self-shift transmission.
Ford beat Chevy in 1957 model-year production, then suffered much lower sales in 1958's flash recession, as did most everyone else. The 1957-1958 Fairlanes were not as well built as earlier Fords -- early rust-out was common. They were not widely recognized among collectors until lately, so they are relatively scarce now, but still, well worth searching for.
Pluses of the 1957-1958 Ford Fairlane 500:
- Less costly now than comparable Chevys
- Smooth ride
- Tasteful 1957 flash
- V-8 performance brisk to bombshell
Minuses of the 1957-1958 Ford Fairlane 500:
- Build quality down on 1955-1956
- Debatable 1958 styling (1957s generally priced higher)
- Still not the investment a comparable Chevy is
Production of the 1957 Ford Fairlane 500:
- Victoria hardtop sedan: 68,550
- 4-door town sedan: 193,162
- Victoria hardtop coupe: 183,202
- 2-door club sedan: 93,756
- Sunliner convertible: 77,726
Production of the 1958 Ford Fairlane 500:
- Victoria hardtop sedan: 14,713
- 4-door town sedan: 105,698
- Victoria hardtop coupe: 80,349
- 2-door club sedan: 34,041
- Sunliner convertible: 35,029
Specifications of the 1957-1958
Ford Fairlane 500:
Wheelbase, inches: 118.0
Length, inches: 207.2/207.5 (1957/1958)
Weight, pounds: 3,346-3,556
Price, new: $2,235-$2,650 (U.S.)
Engines for the 1957-1958 Ford Fairlane 500:
|Type||Size ||Horsepower ||Years |
| ohv I-6||223 cid ||144||1957-1958|
|ohv V-8||272 cid||190/205||1957-1958|
|ohv V-8||292 cid||212||1957|
|ohv V-8||312 cid||245/270*||1957|
|ohv V-8||332 cid||240/265*||1958|
|ohv V-8||352 cid||300||1958|
Want more information about classic cars? See: