The 1953 Corvette featured an innovative fiberglass body that made for a much lighter car, which could be more easily molded into complex shapes than traditional steel construction vehicles. Despite some initial production problems, the car was a strong performer. Here are the specifications for the 1953 Corvette:
The 1953 Corvette could go from 0-60 mph in 11.0 seconds.
| Vehicle Specifications||Convertible |
| Length, inches||167.0|
| Width, inches||72.2 |
| Track, inches||front: 57.0 rear: 59.0|
| Height, inches||51.3 |
| Curb Weight, pounds||2,850|
Mechanical Specifications (2-door convertible)
front: Independent; upper and lower A-arms, coil springs, antiroll bar, tubular hydraulic shock absorbers
rear: Live axle on semi-elliptic leaf springs, tubular hydraulic shock absorbers
front: 11-inch drum
rear: 11-inch drum
Standard axle ratio
|Displacement, liters/cu inch||3.85/235.5 |
|Bore x stroke, inches||3.56 x 3.95|
|Fuel Management||3 Carter sidedraft|
|Horsepower @ rpm||150 @ 4200|
|Torque @ rpm, pound-foot||223 @ 2400|
Published Performance Numbers
| Acceleration||150 hp, 2-sp automatic|
|0-60 mph, sec||11.0 |
|0-100 mph, sec ||41.0 |
Source: Road & Track
Vehicle Production and Base Prices
| Car Type||Production||Price |
|2-door convertible||300||$3,498.00 |
Options and Production
|Option||Production ||Price |
|AM radio, signal seeking||300||$145.15 |
Color Choices and Production
| Color Choice||Production|
Learn about other Corvettes in this generation:
|1953 Corvette||1954 Corvette ||1955 Corvette |
|1956 Corvette ||1957 Corvette ||1958 Corvette |
|1959 Corvette ||1960 Corvette ||1961 Corvette |
Looking for more information on Corvettes and other cars? See:
- Corvettes: Learn about the history behind each model year and see Corvette photographs.
- Corvette Specifications: Get key specifications, engine and transmission types, prices, and production totals.
- Corvette Museum: The National Corvette Museum draws Corvette lovers from all over the world. Learn more about the museum.
- Corvette Pictures: Find pictures of the hottest classic and current-year Corvettes.
- Muscle Cars: Get information on more than 100 tough-guy rides.
- Consumer Guide Corvette Reviews: Considering a Corvette purchase? See what Consumer Guide has to say.