The 1954-1956 Austin-Healeys saw steady improvements. The BN1 was replaced by the BN2 for 1956, with a four-speed transmission instead of the three-speeder.
Production of the original BN1 Austin-Healey ended in 1955.
In the meantime, two derivatives -- one for racing, one for road use -- had already gone on sale. The former was the 100S, a 55-unit run of Warwick's own "Special Test Cars." It featured an aluminum body, a 132-bhp version of the engine with an aluminum head designed by Harry Weslake, the BN2 four-speed transmission minus its overdrive, and four-wheel disc brakes.
The latter, the 100M, which had a 110-bhp version of the original engine and chassis modifications, was much more mainstream. At 8.2 seconds in the 0-60-mph sprint, it was 2.1 seconds faster than a base car.
All in all, 1159 100Ms were eventually sold, many of them being converted from standard 100s at Healey's Warwick factory.
Keep reading to learn about 1957-1961 Austin-Healey cars.
For more information on cars, see: