The 1940 Chevrolet Master and Special were completely redesigned from the 1939 Chevrolets.
The 1940 Chevrolet Master and Special were advertised with the slogan "Royal Clipper Styling." Lines were more flowing, an "alligator" hood was used, and the grille bore a strong resemblance to that of the higher-priced Buick.
Headlights slowly moved into the fenders, as seen on this
1940 Master DeLuxe. See more pictures of classic cars.
Wheelbase was extended to 113 inches, while overall length grew two inches to 1921/4 inches. A palate of 14 attractive colors was offered.
There were three series this time. The Master 85, Chevy's price leader, retained the I-beam front axle and was characterized by a relatively spartan level of trim. Next up was the Master DeLuxe, featuring independent front suspension and better trim.
The third series, new this year, was the Special Deluxe. More sumptuously appointed than any previous Chevrolet, it was distinguished by stainless steel hood and beltline trim along with such amenities as dual wipers, dual air horns, a 30-hour dashboard clock, and a deluxe steering wheel with horn ring. Perhaps surprisingly, the newcomer proved to be, by a wide margin, Chevy's best-seller.
Prices of the 1940 Chevrolet Master and Special were increased by about 4 percent over comparable 1939 models, but the nation's economy had improved substantially, and calendar year production increased by 38 percent.
A convertible returned to the Chevy lineup,
on the top-line 1940 Special DeLuxe.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Master 85||2,865-3,106|| $659-$903||104,044|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.