The 1938 Chevrolet Master and Master DeLuxe were saddled with the unimaginative advertising slogan "The Car that is Complete." It was a year of refinement, for only minor modifications differentiated the 1938 Chevys from their 1937 counterparts.
"Master DeLuxe" was inscribed in the side grille of
the top-line 1938 Chevy. See more pictures of
The 1938 Chevrolet Master and Master DeLuxe did get a smart new grille designed by Franklin Q. Hershey, a recent arrival from Pontiac. It featured horizontal, rather than vertical bars. Otherwise, styling was unchanged.
The engine was fitted with heavier valve springs, and the rear tread was widened by two inches, presumably for greater stability.
Once again, the Chevrolet Master and Master DeLuxe offered 12 models, six in the Master series and six in the Master DeLuxe. Coach and sedan sales very nearly fell off the charts, as buyers defected to the Town Sedan and Sport Sedan models, both offering the convenience of built-in trunks for just a few extra dollars.
Prices were raised by as much as 41/2 percent, which may have been a tactical error; the nation's economy was in the grip of a severe recession and sales plummeted by about 43.5 percent. Even so, Chevrolet was able to increase its lead over Ford.
The Master coupe pickup boasted a small cargo bed in back.
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America's greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.