The 1920 Chevrolet 490 Touring had a carpeted interior and
a rear-seat footrest. See more pictures of Chevrolet Series cars.
During Durant's tenure, Chevrolet had relied mainly on the 490, gradually discontinuing the larger cars. For 1920, Series 490 underwent little modification, except that reverse-curve front fenders replaced the straight type, and headlights now sat directly on those fenders. Series FB also continued with little change.
Moving into 1921, Chevrolet dropped from third to fifth place in sales, losing $8.7 million. Worse yet, it finished the season with 150,000 unsold 490s. Customers evidently had come to realize that the 490 simply wasn't as tough as a Model T Ford. "Some day you'll own a Chevrolet," advised one ad, but too many shoppers ignored that fantasy, sticking with Ford or turning to other makes.
Dramatic price cuts for 1922 helped stimulate sales, which tripled, returning Chevrolet to second place. A $680 Utility Coupe with a big trunk joined the 490 line, aimed at traveling salesmen, but the long-lived 490 was about to expire, as Chevrolet had a far different idea for 1923.
The 1922 Chevrolet Series 490 sold far better
than the 1920 and 1921 Series 490.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| 1920 Series 490||1,820-2,160|| $795-$1,285||150,226 (approx.)|
|1921 Series 490||1,820-2,160||$795-1,375||76,370 (approx.)|
|1922 Series 490||1,435-2,150||$510-$875||243,479 (approx.)|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.